Sample List of Rules and Expectations for Playground Structures
This sample list is intended to serve as a guide for stakeholders to create a list that aligns with the policies and procedures in their respective school division/school.
- Use playground structure only when a teacher is present.
- Listen and follow instructions from the teacher.
- Wear appropriate shoes/boots that are secured/tied.
- Tie back long hair.
- Travel safely when near the playground structure, that is, they must walk, not run when on the structure.
- Take turns.
- Keep their hands to themselves at all times.
- Keep their feet on the structure. Climbing or sitting on the railings is not permitted.
Students must not:
- Wear clothing with loose drawstrings, bicycle helmets or backpacks.
- Jump from unsafe heights (that is, any height higher than their chest).
- Eat while on the playground structure.
- Play tag games near or on the structure.
Climbing Structure - Steps
- Walk (not run) and hold the hand rails.
Climbing Structure - Platform
- Walk at all times.
- No jumping from the platform to the ground. Use the steps, slides or ladders.
- Keep your feet on platform at all times. Do not attempt to climb onto the railings.
Climbing Structure - Pole
- Two hands on the pole at all times. Feet first down the pole. Once at the bottom, move away.
- Wait your turn. Keep your hands to yourself. No pushing or shoving at the top of the slide.
- No sliding headfirst, lying down or backwards.
- Check that no one is at the bottom of the slide before sliding down.
- Once at the bottom of the slide move away.
- No walking/running up or down the slide bed.
- Wait your turn. Keep your hands to yourself.
- Hold onto the rung in front or railings when climbing the ladder.
- Once at the top of the ladder, move away.
- Hold onto the swing with both hands.
- Do not stand on the swing seat.
- Only one person on a swing at a time.
- Stand/walk a safe distance from a swing (front and back).
- No under-doggies.
- No jumping from the swing. Remain seated until the swing has stopped.
- No twisting the swings’ chains.
- No climbing the support structures or swing supports.
Teeter Totters (Seesaws)
- No crawling on the plank.
- Only one person on each end.
- No bumping the bottom of the teeter totters on the ground.
- No getting off while another child is in the air.
- Be sure the other person has their feet on the ground and is aware you are getting off.
- No standing on the seat or bar between the seats.
- No tucking legs, feet or hands under the teeter totter.
Merry Go Round
- The merry-go-round must be stationary before climbing on or jumping off it.
- Hold on tight to hand rail/handgrips when moving.
- No dangling arms or legs or heads over the edge of the merry go round while it is moving.
- Each participating student must have room to hold the hand rail/hand grips.
- No climbing on top of monkey bars, if above chest height.
- Keep a safe distance from one another.
- When dropping off the rung, drop feet first and bend knees when landing.
- No leaning too far forward or backward (that is, causing the rocker to hit the ground).
- No crawling underneath the rocker
- Keep hands away from the spring.
- No jumping to rock harder.